- Your gutters are responsible for directing water away from the roof.
- They are significant in ensuring a sturdy roof and protecting it from harmful elements.
- Homeowners often take the gutters for granted, leaving them unaware of minor gutter damage.
- Minor damages often build up to severe problems that inflict significant damage.
- Watch out for gutter damage signs that seek help from professional roofing services.
- Curvelo Restorations can help you with roof maintenance and gutter repair.
Most of us don’t think about our gutters very often. We go about our lives, going to work, taking the kids to school, and running errands without a second thought for the humble gutter. But your gutters are crucial in protecting your home from water damage and need regular cleaning and maintenance.
Here are a few surefire signs that your gutters need professional attention.
1. Cracks or Pits in the Gutter
If you notice any cracks or pits in your gutter, it’s time for a closer inspection. These problems can lead to more significant ones if left unaddressed. Small cracks can become big cracks, and before you know it, you’ll have a full-fledged gutter collapse on your hands. Don’t let it get that far – call a professional at the first sign of trouble.
2. Gutters Pulling or Sagging Away from Your Home –
Over time, gutters can become loose and start to sag away from your home. This is usually caused by heavy rains or snowfall that puts too much strain on the gutters. If you notice this happening, have a professional take a look so they can reattach the gutters and prevent further damage.
3. Water Pooling Around Home Foundation
If you notice water pooling around your home’s foundation, it’s a good indicator that your gutters are no longer doing their job correctly. The gutters should divert water from your home and not be allowed to pool around the base. This can lead to serious foundation issues if left unchecked.
4. Peeling Paint or Rust Around the Gutter
Paint or rust around your gutters is another sign of damage. These issues can be caused by exposure to the elements or poor installation. Heavy water influence can cause gutters to lose their natural shine as paint peels off. Paint and rust can weaken the gutters; before you know it, you might have serious gutter repairs on your hands.
5. Water or Damage Marks Beneath the Gutters
Last, it’s time to take action if you notice water or damage marks beneath your gutters. This is usually a surefire sign that your gutters are leaking and must be repaired or replaced as soon as possible. Don’t wait until the problem worsens – call a professional immediately!
Sometimes gutter damage goes beyond the point of no return, leaving you with no option other than gutter replacement. So, how do you determine what action to take? What signs suggest you need professional help for gutter repair or replacement? Continue reading to find out.
How to Determine Whether You Need a New Gutter or Just a Good Cleaning?
Few telltale signs suggest you need a new gutter. First, if your gutters are sagging or pulling away from your roof, that’s a bad sign. Second, if you’re seeing regular leaks or water damage inside your home, that’s another indication that your gutters are failing. Finally, if your gutters are more than 20 years old, they’re probably due for replacement.
If you’re unsure whether you need a new gutter or just a good cleaning, the best action is to call in a professional roofing company. They’ll be able to inspect your gutters and make a recommendation based on their findings. In the meantime, here are a few tips on keeping your gutters in good shape:
- Regularly remove debris from your gutters, such as leaves and sticks. This will ensure that water can flow freely through them and prevent clogs.
- Inspect your gutters for leaks and holes regularly. If you see any, seal them with silicone caulk or gutter sealant.
- If your gutters are sagging, reinforce them with hangers or brackets. This will help to distribute their weight more evenly and prevent further sagging.
Gutter Maintenance Tips Every Homeowner Should Know
While homeowners realize the significance of gutter maintenance, they don’t always know the best way to go about it. As a result, they often end up causing more harm than good.
To help you avoid becoming one of these homeowners, we’ve compiled a list of gutter maintenance tips that every homeowner should know.
- Inspect your gutters at least twice annually- once before spring and once in the fall. This will help you identify any potential problems before they become big ones.
- If you live in an area with much tree cover, you may need to clean your gutters more often. Leaves and twigs can quickly clog up your gutters, so staying on top is essential.
- Wear gloves and a dust mask when cleaning your gutters to avoid getting sick or injured.
- Never try to clean your gutters while standing on a ladder – always use a stable platform like a scaffold or cherry picker.
- After you’ve cleaned out your gutters, be sure to inspect them for any signs of damage. If you see any cracks or holes, seal them up as soon as possible to prevent further damage.
- Don’t hesitate to sign up for professional roofing assistance. Remember, roofing experts know what you don’t, so trust them with maintenance.
- Roofing professionals have the experience and are equipped with superior tools for gutter maintenance.
- Also, be careful when cleaning the gutters; a slight miscalculation can lead to a severe injury.
Now that you know the indicators of gutter damage, it’s time to take action and protect your home. Curvelo Restorations offers professional roofing services to residents in Roswell, GA. We can help you with gutter cleaning, repair, and maintenance so you can avoid costly repairs down the road.
Get a free estimate today & find out how we can help keep your gutters in tip-top shape.